Wednesday 9 January 2008

The Age of Innocence - an underrated gem


Many people rate 'Raging Bull' or 'Goodfellas' as their all time favourite Scorcese film, and although I do love both of those films, I have to say that it is 'The Age of Innocence' that I find the most complex, daring and controlled. The acting is understated and script intelligent. It is the film most beloved by my good self for many reasons which I have neither the time or the inclination to go into on a blogspot. But do read on.


I believe it to be his most violent film.


But how so when there is not one drop of blood spilt or 'motherfucker' uttered? Well, let me tell you my dear readers, the violence is in the politeness, the violence is in the manipulation and the violence is in May's (Winona Ryder) determined stare as she exits the screen angry with Newland (Daniel Day-Lewis), but in cold control of every move...Oh, and it's violent because 'she never asked.' Yes, New York's polite society manages to rip the guts out of a life, yet still allow it to breath and 'endure' till old age. The Horror! The Horror!

It is also an incredibly beautiful piece of film art with many delectable vignettes, many of which centre around Ellen Olenska (Michelle Pfieffer): confidently and decisively walking over to Newland when women-weren't-meant-to-do-that-kind-of-thing (a fine moment, I have to say!); her New York apartment, she sitting by the fire, smoking, talking to Newland; the moment that could have been; at the harbour (the games people play); reading on a bench having her portrait painted, I could go on...


...but instead I will very briefly add, that Ellen's decision to return Newland's key declining to visit him 'just once' was the correct one for she was far too good for him. She dared to live what only Newland could read about in a book, in his armchair, by the fire. What a woman! What a film!

5 comments:

markringforaday said...

Nice Ideas, Wharton's novel itself is full of the cruelty of that society- I'm not sure it's quite as violent as Joe Pesci kicking someone to death to a Donovan soundtrack but I think it's a really interesting point

millamant said...

I find that strangely humorous. However, violence doesn't have to be physical and the society do metaphorically slit Newland's throat to a classical soundtrack.

markringforaday said...

That is true, Having read the book first I was intrigued by the casting-I'm not sure about Pfeiffer but I think she is surprisingly good

Salopian said...

I agree that this is one of Scorcese's finest movies. He must sometimes reel at been given yet another crime spree movie script land on his doorstep. But this shamefully neglected film shows his true range. I love stories written during the inter-war period. The likes of Wharton and Waugh belonged to crumbling society where reputation and appearance were paramount and 'doing the right thing' was obligatory. Newland and Ellen were pawns in this society which Wharton knew was on its last legs. A great story brilliantly filmed.

millamant said...

Markfingforaday: I read the book a few years before the film too, but can't remember too much detail. I think Pfeiffer is great in the role, but I also liked her in Dangerous Liaisons too.

Tutu: Was the choice of word 'reel' deliberate? If so, HA!Ha!